I have over twenty years of professional experience writing software for a wide array of industries. I am highly self-motivated, reliable and capable of completing and managing multiple projects simultaneously with minimal direct supervision.
A lead position where I'm involved in the concept, design and development of software applications in a team-based environment.
Capacity and Performance Management Consultant in the division of Optum Technology: May 2014 - Present
- Responsibilities include analysis to determine the cause of performance issues in applications running on UHG's servers, and building self-service tools to aid other developers in finding that information for themselves.
Senior Software Developer: Sept 2012 - May 2014
- Hired from the Eduplanet21 team to continue working on improving CorpU's Python/Django-based corporate learning platform
- Aided in overhaul of CorpU's learning UI, incorporating pacing features designed to focus learners' attention to get their work done in a timely manner
- Created framework to support the creation of custom course activities along with new innovation tournament activity types that utilized that framework
- Responsible for work behind moving static content along with user avatars to Amazon S3, along with integrating Plupload to facilitate uploads of user-generated videos to the platform
Senior Software Developer: Sept 2011 - Sept 2012
- Work closely with project managers and other development team members at both Eduplanet21 and CorpU to concept, design and build Django-based social learning platform components in an Agile environment.
- Frequently work with our instructional designers to find new ways to improve the product and the work the instructional design team is doing.
- Responsible for the design and implementation of several major components of their application, including their Course Viewer interface.
Lead Developer: Feb 2007 - Sept 2011
- Responsible for the design and development of Convey, a software-based student response system product.
- Developed a browser-based Java student client for Convey used in OSX and Linux school environments.
- Responsible for the concept and development of Abblesoft's Mobile Conference Program App, used to deliver session schedules, exhibitor lists, announcements, and maps at conferences and gather session and event evaluations from attendees.
- Demonstrated Convey to hundreds of potential customers at dozens of educational technology conferences, private meetings and online webinars.
- Organized and conducted training sessions to train teachers and administrators in the use of Convey.
- Responsible for building Abblesoft's web site and handling the production of a number of other marketing materials for the company for various conferences and projects.
- Subcontracted out to a number of local startups to do Django development work
Chief Software Developer: 1993 - Feb 2007
- Work independently with internal and external customers to design and develop custom Windows-based software applications for industrial automation and commercial applications.
- Responsible for programming software on production manufacturing projects controlling motion and process control equipment including programmable logic controllers, power supplies, data acquisition hardware, spectroscopy equipment, weigh scales, lasers, engravers, vision inspection systems and robots.
- Created software package that has been installed in over 50 professional & college sport training centers, healthcare, elder-care and fitness centers which is used by physical therapists to monitor patient progress and track data for a water conditioning and therapy system.
- Design artwork for various projects, including control system overlays in commercial products.
- Developed a contact/project/purchasing system that all 30 employees in the company use to manage the company`s projects. This is an on-going project that I continually work on when there is downtime between projects for our customers.
- In charge of specifying, purchasing, setup and maintenance of an office of 30 desktop and laptop PC workstations and a Windows NT 4.0 Server running Small Business Server.
Systems Designer: 1992 - 1993
- Wired electrical panels, designed and plumbed pneumatic systems, made modifications to mechanical tooling, programmed motion and process control devices and wrote documentation for automated equipment built in the shop.
PROJECTS / SIDE WORK
In addition to my full time work, I occasionally do consulting and freelance work. In addition to the dozens of web sites I've completed for those clients, I've also built a number of personal projects.
- Developed Disasteroids 3D, an OpenGL remake of the arcade classic, Asteroids, which has been downloaded well over 100,000 times. The game has also appeared on the cover discs of a number of computer magazines published in the US and Europe.
- Programmed Bitmap Font Builder, an application for creating bitmap font textures intended for use in game applications. Bitmap Font Builder has been used to create font textures used in retail products by commercial game companies such as Creature Labs, Lt. and Westwood Studios and is still highly recommended for developers looking to build font textures.
- Created Wishlist Buddy, which is a site that helps people pay what they want for items in their Amazon Wish Lists. After tagging items, the system queries Amazon using their Amazon Web Services API and if any of the prices are lower than that of one of the tagged item in someone's list, the site sends them an email notification.
- Created GameWith.Us, a community gaming site. In addition to the Google Maps/Google Earth tools, the site houses a number of video gaming-related applications that make it easier for players to connect with each other online.
- Developed LMNOpc.com to share software and web sites I created and write about other interests.
- Regularly work with a number of graphic designers to convert their Photoshop-based site mockups into working sites utilizing all the latest web technologies including Ajax and CSS-based layouts.
- Developed a web-based email publication application for Central Pennsylvania College featuring an AJAX user interface with an embedded WYSIWYG story editor.
References Available Upon Request