Disasteroids 3D was a personal research project to learn how to write simple games using Visual C++ and OpenGL. Programming started on February 16,2000 and the game rapidly took shape. I had a rough game was playable in less than a week, and since that time I’ve added a lot of cool effects to make the game more polished.
The game features:
- OpenGL 3D graphics
- DirectSound support
- DirectInput support for joysticks and force-feedback devices
- A very low sticker price (it’s free)
I owe a great deal of thanks to Jeff Molofee of nehe.gamedev.net for his OpenGL base code, as well as his encouragement throughout the project. Without his help, Disasteroids 3D wouldn’t have even been started.
I hope this game serves as an inspiration to anyone out there who has wanted to program a game to go ahead and do it.
No installation is required to play — Just download and play!
- Disasteroids 3D REQUIRES a video card that supports OpenGL acceleration
- Disasteroids 3D is FREE and MUST remain so
Download Disasteroids 3D – (~458kb)
Disasteroids 3D contains no malware.
Disasteroids 3D has been published on the cover disc of a number of magazines published in the US and in Europe.
- Underdogs – http://www.theunderdogs.org/game.php?id=2109
“…very nice Open-GL 3D graphix and lighting/particle effects. Very cool looking explosions!” – High*Ping*Drifter
Awarded TOP DOG
- GameHippo.com – http://gamehippo.com/category/3_title_7.shtml
“Disasteroids 3D is based on OpenGL which gives the game awesome realistic graphics and sounds effects that blows your mind away!” (Rated 5/5)
- IceCubed.com – http://www.icecubed.com/demoreviews/dis.html
“Bottom Line: It’s simple and fun and easy to install…and hey, the darn thing is free!” – jedistorm
- FreewareGaming.com – http://www.freewaregaming.com/aa/d3d.html
“The first thing that strikes you when you run Disasteroids 3D are the graphics. They are absolutely marvelous.” (4.5 / 5.0 stars)
- RocketDownload.com – http://www.rocketdownload.com/details/arca/5328.htm
“Compared to both the original and all of its clones, Disasteroids 3D includes well-designed spaceships and realistic asteroids. You’ll also enjoy flame and explosion effects.” – Nick Smith (5 / 5 Smileys)
- YIPPEE – http://partners.yippee.net/worldvillage_us/html/win/entertainment/title6638.htm
“This one speaks for itself. Quite possibly the best Asteroids clone out there ( and there are a few.. ).” (4/5 stars)
- SoftPile.com – http://www.softpile.com/Games/Arcade/Review_03806_index.html
“Disasteroids 3D is a terrific freeware version of the classic arcade game…”